Chris Stein & Debbie Harry
5 Things We Learned About Blondie Last Night
Punk rock legends Debbie Harry and Chris Stein joined Rolling Stone’s Anthony DeCurtis at 92Y on May 28 to discuss their 40 years as Blondie. The rock duo reflected on what has changed in music since “Heart of Glass” and “One Way Or Another” hit the airwaves and what they’d like to do next. Here are 5 things we learned:
- Harry never listens to their classic records.
- Stein was greatly influenced by West Side Story. “People in the later generations don’t get what a huge deal West Side Story was,” Stein said. “It was like unto the Beatles. The girls in the theater would be sobbing when Tony was killed at the end. It was a huge cultural event. It brought everything up to this other level.”
- Harry took on her strong female persona because she was “tired of women being the underdog in relationships. I wanted revenge!”
- Spending sprees on fancy cars and jets? Who needs ‘em! When they became successful, Stein only wanted to spend his money on more instruments.
- Blondie wants an ABBA collaboration! Stein and Harry would love Benny Anderson and Björn Olvaeus to produce their next album. Although Harry adds, “Too bad they’re Swedish.”