Outlander star Caitriona Balfe had the audience in stitches during our panel with the cast and creative team of the new TV series. Watch the video of her talking about filming those sex scenes with Jamie (Sam Heughan) and Frank (Tobias Menzies), and learn what “modesty pouches” are.
We Pick Pop Culture’s 5 Best Time Travelers
We’ve all wished we had the power to time travel. Whether it was to correct a mistake (“Why did I say that?!”) or simply to experience another era (“Poodle skirts are so fetch!”), the mystical ability has eluded us. Luckily, we’ve been able to live vicariously through some of our favorite fictional characters. As we gear up for our advanced screening of Starz’ new series Outlander and talk with the series cast and author on July 28, we got to thinking of some of pop culture’s greatest time travelers. Read on to see who we picked, and if you disagree with us, beam yourself back to before you read this post.
We have our first major Oscar contender of the year! Boyhood is getting rave reviews. Before the film hit theaters, director Richard Linklater came to 92Y to discuss his latest project with Indiewire's Eric Kohn and the film’s young star Ellar Coltrane. In this clip from the event, Linklater describes the challenges of making the movie, which was filmed over the course of 12 years with the same cast.
Have you seen Boyhood yet? What did you think?
Diane Keaton & Pharrell Williams
5 Things We Learned About Diane Keaton
Hollywood icon Diane Keaton took to our stage last night to read from her latest book, Let’s Just Say It Wasn’t Pretty. The always pretty and stylish actress also took questions from the audience, and wasn’t afraid to get saucy with the crowd. Here are 5 things we learned from the Academy Award winner.
- Keaton claims Pharrell stole her hat. The actress asserted that his now famous cap that showed up at the Oscars and Grammys was no doubt inspired by her own taste in chapeaus.
- She loved getting slapped around by Al Pacino in The Godfather. Remember that scene in Part II? “He really slapped me! It was amazing and it really worked. I loved it.”
- The no. 1 thing Keaton looks for in a man is a penis. Hey, that’s what she said.
- She has photos of attractive men pinned to a wall in her home. Not surprisingly, she’s also a huge fan of Pinterest.
- Of all her characters, the one Keaton likes the most is Erica Barry from Something’s Gotta Give.
Fred and Carrie will be here tonight talking about Portlandia.
What would YOU ask them?
“She loved dogs, New York, television, children, friendship, sex, laughing, heartbreaking songs, marijuana, farts, and cuddling.” ― Sarah Silverman’s epitaph, The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
Aziz Ansari - Marriage is an Insane a Proposal
Here’s a clip from my new standup special Buried Alive. It debuts on Netflix on Nov 1.
Also on Nov 1, Aziz sits down with Brian Stelter of the New York Times at 92Y for an hour plus conversation on his life and career. It’s sold out but you can watch live online!
We’ll make sure to have a couple pints on hand when Will Ferrell and Adam McKay are at 92Y in December to talk about Anchorman 2.