We just learned how to make better GIFs (thanks Tyler!) and this is how happy we are about it.
#TuesdayTip How to prepare for a dance recital in 5 easy steps
from 92Y Harkness Dance Center
Our light-footed tiny dancers from Harkness Dance Center have mulled over their own experiences in the dance world to share with you the steps you need to take to be on point for your next recital. Here they are:
- Arrive in style
- Find your dressing room
- Check to make sure you have everything you need (costumes, hair pins, shoes, tights, etc)
- Ballet barre
Thanks, ladies! To learn more and sign up for a dance class, click here.
#TuesdayTip: How to Pack Your Ballet Bag
From 92Y’s Harkness Dance Center Ballerinas
Ever wonder what should go on your child’s list of “must have’s” for dance class? Here’s a checklist from the girls of 92Y. And while you’re at it, ask yourself: have you checked ‘summer activities for your kids’ off of your to-do list? Keep your kids busy, happy and grooving their way through summer. Sign up for a summer dance intensive today—it’s not too late!
Dance intensives are offered all summer long for maximum flexibility. Enroll your child today!
Welcome to Inside 92Y, your all-access pass for everything going on at 92nd and Lex here in New York City. Every episode, we’ll take you behind the scenes of 92Y events, show you things you won’t see on our stages, and introduce you to the people here who make it all happen. Here’s what’s going on this week:
- We strike a pose for our 140th birthday
- 5 things we learned about Arianna Huffington and Barbara Walters
- We put on our tap shoes and learn how to Buffalo
- Get a peek inside our 140th birthday party
#TuesdayTip: How to “Spring” Into Spring
From the Harkness Dance Center Staff
Dancers have five basic ways to spring (jump or elevate the body into the air). One can spring or leap from:
- Two feet to two feet
- Two feet to one foot
- One foot to two feet
- One foot to the same foot
- One foot to the other foot
Watch the video above and spring into action! Join 92Y Harkness Dance Center students Deana, Raquelle and Daniel in a dance class this summer!
#TuesdayTip 7 Steps to Choreographing Your Own Dance
by John-Mario Sevilla, Director of the Harkness Dance Center
How do you choreograph a dance, even a cat dance? It all begins with a creative spark. Here’s how to bottle your imagination before blocking your first steps in the studio.
1. Start with an idea that inspires you.
2. Begin to brainstorm by collecting the thoughts and images that come your way. Observe the world around you.
3. Let the ideas flow. Consider everything and don’t discriminate; you can always cut down later.
4. Share your ideas with a collaborator, but make sure they will contribute to your brainstorm.
5. Enjoy the play and wonderment of your imagination; relish your memories.
6. Allow all your ideas to flow and connect.
7. Take your ideas to the studio and begin your choreography.
To learn more about the creative process, come to the 92Y Harkness Dance Festival, where five eclectic dance companies will show you how they create their work. LA-based duo casebolt and smith kick off the festival Feb 28 with their witty dance, “O(h).”
#TuesdayTip: How To Break Free of ‘Creators’ Block’
You know those irritating moments when you’re stuck on a problem that needs an original solution? In this week’s #TuesdayTip, we give you the power to break free from these obstacles. Below, Doug Varone, Artist-in-Residence at 92Y’s Harkness Dance Center and curator of this year’s Harkness Dance Festival (Feb 21 to Mar 23), shares his five tips for managing this situation. He employs this solution whenever he’s working on new choreography. A new dance will be premiered this spring. Read on and un-block yourself!
- Do not bang your head against the wall; protect that beautiful brain for creativity. Step away from the task for a moment to regain clarity.
- Perform a chore, refreshing yourself with some creative action.
- Take your time and give yourself a chance to breathe.
- Do not get stressed out.
- When you’re ready, go back to your problem and give it another try.
What do you do to get your creative juices back on track?
92Y’s Harkness Dance Center is excited for 2014. Many incredible performances and people are part of our past, the dance center celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2010, and we can’t wait for what’s in store this year! Enjoy these highlights from 1994 to 2010.
Covered elastic band
Bobby pins (small and large)
Nylon hairnet matching hair color
Non-aerosol hairspray (if needed)