#TuesdayTip 7 Steps to Choreographing Your Own Dance
by John-Mario Sevilla, Director of the Harkness Dance Center
How do you choreograph a dance, even a cat dance? It all begins with a creative spark. Here’s how to bottle your imagination before blocking your first steps in the studio.
1. Start with an idea that inspires you.
2. Begin to brainstorm by collecting the thoughts and images that come your way. Observe the world around you.
3. Let the ideas flow. Consider everything and don’t discriminate; you can always cut down later.
4. Share your ideas with a collaborator, but make sure they will contribute to your brainstorm.
5. Enjoy the play and wonderment of your imagination; relish your memories.
6. Allow all your ideas to flow and connect.
7. Take your ideas to the studio and begin your choreography.
To learn more about the creative process, come to the 92Y Harkness Dance Festival, where five eclectic dance companies will show you how they create their work. LA-based duo casebolt and smith kick off the festival Feb 28 with their witty dance, “O(h).”