#TuesdayTip Using Your Kitchen to Set the Stage for Family Fun
by Paul Williams, 92Y School of Music Instructor
Looking to add some musical fun to your family time, but aren’t sure where to begin? You don’t need fancy instruments or any specialized know-how beyond a basic sense of rhythm. Just look around your kitchen and follow these easy steps:
- Gather some pots and pans (plastic containers work, too).
- Grab a wooden spoon or plastic utensils.
- Bang them together to a beat, and voila! You’ve got the percussion to lead you through a family jam session.
- Set everyone up with a pot and spoon and the whole family can join in!
- Most importantly, don’t worry about how it sounds! Just have fun and let your children experiment with the different sounds; learning and growing their familiarity with making sound is what it’s all about.
- BONUS TIP: Once you’re all jamming, break out the smartphone and capture it all on video. A quick upload to YouTube and you’ve got your family band’s first music video!
For a little more harmony, throw on one of your favorite recordings to play along to, or if someone in the clan does play an instrument, they can jump in on the action too. Sing along, dance and have a music party!
(The stuffed animals, trucks, trains and dolls can join as well.)
Want to take your young one’s music skills to the next level? Join Paul for a class this summer!